Friday, November 19, 2010

SMASHED

turned into
the alley taking
the short way back
and nearly tripped
on a homeless guy
sleeping by a trash bin
there next to him
a broken skull
stopped me
he stirred slightly
cast a cloudy
eye my way
felt an urge to
retch or run
my curiosity held
me in place
the side of
her face
covered in filth
the sleeve of
her kimono
old heavy silk
the beauty of
her body
arresting
turned her over
but the old guy reached
out before I could
touch her perfect
hands
--leave her alone--
he said
--my lover 
gave
her to me
before she
died--
I left them
even broken up
she was all
he had.

14 comments:

  1. This reminds me of Japanese ghost stories - chilling yet tender.

    ReplyDelete
  2. even broken up
    she was all
    he had -love that ending...was haunting and sad, ending on a gentle note, nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic write and your blog design is the coolest I've seen.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey thanks for the notes. Appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought this was an interesting piece. Like the minimalism. I too like the blogsite. Thanks,
    Gay @beachanny

    ReplyDelete
  6. this was really good....even broken up she was all he had...was a fantastic end...thanks for sharing pete

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice writting - love the last lines.. even broken up she was all he had" nice finish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Intense! Really good poem.

    My potluck here: SHEDDING

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed the meaningful lines, which can be taken many ways and reads with a nice flow. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear M G Reignier

    I enjoyed it very much.. thanks for sharing... beautiful verse...
    Shashi

    ReplyDelete
  11. signed in to follow you.
    welcome to our potluck week 12,
    follow us if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fan-freakin-tastic. You can feel the cold coming off of this one. So glad to have found your work.

    ReplyDelete

Review this blog on Bloggers.com Find me on Bloggers.com